October 31, 2007

Alright, back from the bar with the other trainees to make a post. We had our language interviews on monday to test our aptitude in guarani. You have to pass at an intermediate-mid level (5 on a 10 point scale) to go on to spanish. In talking with everyone else they´re at the novice-mid to novice-high level which makes me feel kinda strange because I actually passed at the intermediate-mid level. Maybe because my family doesn´t speak to me in spanish at all i guess ive been picking it up pretty well. The guy who was interviewing us tape recorded the whole thing and had us talk about ourselves and then ask him questions about random things.

Also on monday I did a presentation about soil degredation and designing water harvesting earthworks to the environmental ed and crop extention group. I made little mock hills on the ground and let people figure out the solution that the erosion and soil degredation problems. Everyone liked it and the trainers said that it was a really good presentation.

We´re learning about all the dating and romance of paraguay and i got to say its pretty interesting. There are actually certain "dating days" when a man can visit a womans house and just talk and relax but its kinda like a date. Tues, thurs, sat, and sunday morning. And if a man visits a woman on the other days, then that´s telling her that shes his "second choice". You can also send these things called saludos that mean that youre interested in someone. If they send them back then that might mean that they like you. Speaking of liking people, I was pretty interested in one of the girls in the apiculture sub-group. Unfortunatly, she doesn´t really seem to be interested athough it certainly seemed so at first. It´s too bad, seeing as she´s cute and a really interesting person.

Its pretty hot and humid here, and its going to get even warmer. As they say hakuitererii, which means it realllllly hot. And boy is it going to get warmer...

In terms of the book questions, i still really want the permaculture design manual but would say that at this point to hold off on buying it because it´s so heavy. Ive got so many books to lug to my next site I want to get situated before I start adding more books to my collection. But sending gaia´s garden would be really nice. ALSO, about the frisbee, please just send one brightly colored or white frisbee for¨"ultimate frisbee". If you send more than one in a box they´d probably get confiscated.

*Very Important* If you send the book, please SEND the book gaia´s garden in a separate box so in case they do take the frisbee i´ll still get the book. I´m going to make a page with all the things I could use so I can keep a running list sometime next week. =]

I really excited about your new planning adventure dad! Sounds like a lot of exciting fun. Thank god you got rid of the bel air...haha. Yes, Ive gotten moms letters but havn´t had a moment to write a thing, emails or paper. I do really like getting the letters though, its fun reading things that ive gotten in the mail. This blog is just about the only thing ive had time to update...mrh.

I got really sick last week end and was barfing for about half a day and also had a fever. It sucked and i missed a field trip and couldnt eat anything for about 2 days after. But im just fine now, obviously, as i just got back from the bar. How are things with the fire in california?? I havn´t gotten any recent news in a long time so I feel really out of the loop. BUT in general everything is really fine here - I have few complaints. Will update more later!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Hi Lindsey - I sent the frisbee today. Actually it is a medium range golf disc. If you intend to actually play catch with it I will send you a different type. All the discs on website you gave me were for golf, I think. The difference is that they have a solid soft plastic rim surrounding the aerodynamic center. It doesn't sound like what you wanted, so I think I will go to Big 5 and see if they have an ultimate frisbee there for throwing and catching and then send that separately. You will get it in around 6-7 days. I am also order the book today and mom is ordering the other one. So you will get mine in about a week and a half.

The fires are under control but still going strong. About 2/3 of Green Valley Lake, where Julie's parents house is, and where Julie grew up, burned completely to the ground. Julie's whole street was saved, but narrowly. That is really good because their house was hand built in the 20s by her grandfather, her dad added many unique personal touches over time. The fire blew through and then it doubled back and consumed even more. The San Diego fires were the worst, I think. Lots of acres burned including wealthy enclaves Rancho Bernardo and Los Penasquitos Cyn. You can view lots of news on web by now I am sure.

It sounds like you may have had a little food poisoning? Glad to hear you recovered and that you are socializing. As for relationships...well perhaps some people don't want to start something or maybe have someone at home that they are thinking about. Have fun anyway!

As for the new firm - BGF Planning and Associates. I am getting a lot of encouragement and meeting with two other law firms next week to secure contracts. There are so many little details to work out, incorporation, bank accounts, contract forms, deciding on my billing rate, etc. One step at a time. Right now I am just focusing on getting the word out and seeing what kind of interest there is...so far there is a lot of interest, so much so I am a little surprised.

Regarding your soil degradation presentation. You have real skill for presenting information in a way that people enjoy hearing, and you listen interactively. So now you will go on to Spanish, correct? and continue to speak Guarini too...how fun! I will let you know how things go with the firm and all and will write again to let you know that I have sent t the book.

Love, Dad