October 24, 2007

hey all im back in nueva esperanza and back in the swing of things with school and such. We´ve started doing work out in the community building gardens in the back of various peoples houses which has been pretty fun. My visit down south to the volunteer´s site was really good because I got a first had look at the living conditions and general lifestyle of a peace corps volunteer. I´m kinda fried right now from class so I don´t have a lot to get out of my head BUT I do have a link

http://www.discfly.com/productinfo~productid~dcsultrastar.html

for the frisbee disk that I would like for my birthday. Dad i know the doggie disk may be better to get through customs but its just not going to work, haha. Don´t worry about customs, just send it fedex in the smallest box possible. I also have a few books that I could really use (for future reference) in case anyone feels like getting me something really spiffy. Listed by order of preference (but any of them would be awesome):

1. Permaculture: a designers manual by Bill Mollison
2. Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands vol. 2 by Brad Lancaster (www.harvestingrainwater.com)
2. Gais´s Garden by Toby Hemenway
3. Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets

Any of these should be sent by fed-ex to the address at the bottom of this site. SO when Im not so fried I´ll make a proper update about what´s been goin on and such. =] Ciao!

6 comments:

Dad said...

Hi Lindsey - Community gardens - so maybe that will be your access to fresh veggies?! no problem on the books - I will make a plan to get them to you. Also ok on the frisbee. Julie is already on it. So, what do you think about the peacecorps lifestyle? I understand about being brain fried - you must be in a very steep learning curve, actually being out in society and communicating. So do the volunteers get to go "out on the town" at all? or is it just basically class and then going home? How long does it take you to get home after class, is it just walking? Are your trips like the one you just took preplanned? My job ends on the 31st but I have things lined up as you might expect, one of the things I will be doing defintely is handling the site design review process out at Monterra Ranch and that will actually be learning curve for me. I have other alternatives I am working on and I will let you know what happens...all of this change is still manageable fortunately. I look forward to hearing more Linds whenever your brain defogs. Do they have a Halloween like celebration there or other seasonal events - lets see you are in summer there so there must be some festivals ?

Love Dad

Ar said...

Dear Lindsey - Your info on the blog is fascinating. Mostly this comment is to say Happy Birthday! Your Index 500 is a little larger, not knowing what would "blow your skirt up" at just this juncture. We love you and looking forward to reading more about your adventures.
Grandma & Pete

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lindsey! :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Lindsey!! We're thinking of you!
Love, Uncle Anthony & Aunt Pammie, also Emma, Francesca, Rascal, Lizzie (your fav...) & Bella

Look forward to reading more of your adventures!!

Dad said...

Hi Linds - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! your first choice of books Permaculture is 3.5 llbs and is like a text book, hardbound etc. Is this your first choice still? Your second choice is due to be published in January.Your third and fourth choices are available. I would like to get the Permaculture title for you but want to make sure that given the weight etc that it is your first choice.

Mom says that she has written you a few letters and would like to know if you received them.

I am getting you one mid range and one driver golf frisbee - so many choices...

Tomorrow is my last day as a salaried planner and my the day after tomorrow is my first day as an independant planner...hard work but hopefully rewarding.

We finally sold the Belair. It is on its way to New Zealand by Christmas according to the new owner. I was really sad to see it go, especially after so much time and attention spent on it. And of course Hilary was sad too. But we have nice professional quality pictures that Mom took. I'm going to send you a couple of these along with the others as soon as I get a chance. I am looking forward to more entries!

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

happy late b-day lindsey! i sent you a pkg and i hope that you get it soon, i sent it priority international mail. any way I love you and am thinking of you
-hilary