October 13, 2007

mba´echapa encarnaciongui!

(baeschapa encarnacionwe) Hello from encarnacion! I´m here visiting with another volunteer sam, who is another environmental ed. volunteer. He´s one year into his service and lives in a little town called nuevaventura that´s out pretty close to one of the national preserves in the southern provence of Itapua just across the river from argentina. Ill be staying at his site for about 4 days and learn the ins and outs of his work and interact with his community a bit. Its been raining pretty hard here so we´re killing time to wait for the roads to open again.

Ill give a little more infor about general life in nueva esperanza with my host family so as to shed a bit of light on some of the interesting cultural nuances of this place. First, my host dad works as a bricklayer which makes my family pretty much middle class. My host mom stays at home and takes care of more domestic things during the day while my host brothers and sister are at school. There arn´t a whole lot of social activites excepting church but walking is pretty big here. Also, two of the volunteers brought frisbees with them and they´re a huge hit. We play ultimate frisbee in the evenings. Walking is an intersting thing here, because who you walk with and at what time of day has a lot of connotation. For example, if a guy and girl are seen walking together especially at night, people assume that they´re going to go get it on. In a nutshell. This means that when my host sister (who is 19) asks me if I want to go on a walk I decline for reasons of keeping things uncomplicated and because I don´t want her "esposo" getting any more jeallous than he already is.

We mostly walk around on foot and then take busses when we have to. The bus system is totally loose - you just stick out your arm and the bus will stop for you no matterr where you are one the road. Speaking of drivers, people are nuts here! They will pass at all times, into oncoming traffic, buses swerving off the road onto dirt to miss other passing busses. And there really arn´t lane lines either, you just kinda go. Its really insane.

In terms of food, we can get just about any kind of fruit or vegetables here, its just that i don´t do the shopping so I usually end up eating a starchy product (like mandi´o) and meat. No vegitables unless you count cabbage sprinkled with salt. Two nights ago I got served a big plate of beef tounge for dinner. I closed my eyes (literally) and ate half of it. Big thick pieces of tounge...yuck. Sam, the volunteer im visiting here, said he has eaten pigs eyes as a "treat" and also had pidgeon heart soup. Yum. Pigs are a fun topic here, as a few people have witnessed the killing of pigs. One beekeeping volunteer even did the deed herself - she stabed it in the jugular and held a bucket to catch the blood. Pretty intense.

The churches are all catholic here, and of course everything is in guarani/spanish so its hard to know what´s going on. But all the motions are the same, and you still do the greeting your neighbor thing so it´s kinda easy to know where you are in the mass. Two odd things about the mass: 1: Only a few people go up to take communion, everyone else just chills in their chairs. Not sure why. 2: Most services include a couple or two having their marriage consecrated by the priest. It happens so fast I didn´t actually realize they were getting married untill someone told me.

Here´s a typical sentense in guarani that i had to write for class:

Guarani: Oi po mbo´ehárakuera escuélape. Ha´e ogusta okaru mesápe clasépe.

English: There are 5 teachers at the school. They like to eat lunch at a table in a classroom.

Oi = There is/are
po = 5
mbo´ehárakuera = teachers (adding kuera makes the word plural)
escuélape = at school (ading pe to the end adds an "at" or "in" to the attached word.

All the verbs are conjugated at the front, but they all conjugate the same way except for 4 irregular verbs. Also, to make any verb a future tense you just add "ta" to the end, and to make it past you just add "kuri". It´s really nice and easy to learn. The pronunciation is the killer though. Words have to be said a very certain way otherwise you might end up saying something you really didn´t mean to. Example: a classmate of mine wanted to say that he eats something which is Che Ha´u (shai ha-oo). But instead he said "Che u" which means "I want you to eat me". The language teacher had to leave the room she was laughing so hard.

Anyway, everything is going very well. I´m still a bit nervous about the language thing but considering what we´ve been hearing from other volunteers we´ve got a real advantage starting out in guarani right away. Ill update again next wendsday when Im back from nuevaventura. Jajotopata!

4 comments:

Dad said...

Hi Lindsey - Julie found a canvass frisbee that is made for dogs that might be ok to make it through customs because it's not plastic...its vinyl. We will order it and send it to you. I will also send pictures and another notebook. After Trona I am sure you are used to dealing with cultural differences and expectations. Keep up the good work! I really look forward to reading you blog and I would like to know more about society from your perspective. I am glad you were here this summer. The house is finished being painted and it looks really good.

I will let you know what happens with the business, but I can tell you that it is fun putting things. Together. Now I will have to see about clients!

Love, Dad

Love Dad



Love Dad am looking it's good that you are sensitive to the cultural nuances of behaviors, like taking a walk in the evening!

Unknown said...

I am a RPCV from G4 who lived in the Chaco. It was a way different experience than you are having so I'm really looking forward to reading about the non-campo experience. Jajotopata!

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://aqazilec.freewebsitehosting.com/atutyfe.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I started to get real income.
It gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]